Co-ordinator - Development Engineering
Gympie is at the heart of a rapidly expanding region which stretches from rural valleys in the west to the Cooloola Coast, gateway to spectacular Fraser Island. Enjoy the rural delights of the picturesque Mary Valley, the history of Gympie and the broad western area, home to country festivals and a strong agricultural base. For someone seeking a high quality of life, the region offers a unique opportunity. You could be part of a forward thinking local government organisation with a commitment to continuously improving the services it provides to its 50,000 residents, in one of the most diverse locations in Queensland.
The regional centre of Gympie is central to the Gympie region, two hours north of Brisbane and in close proximity to the Sunshine and Fraser coasts. Council offices are located in Gympie's town centre close to shopping, cafes and parking.
Co-ordinator - Development Engineering
Remuneration: An attractive salary package will be negotiated with the successful candidate, but will include a base salary range of between $90,297 to $95,861 per annum, plus $15,000 per annum market retention allowance, plus 13% superannuation. Option also available for negotiation of commuter use of a Council vehicle or the equivalent cash component.
Closing Date: Sunday 27 January 2019 at 5.00pm AEST
No late applications will be accepted. Only applications received via Council's online application system will be considered. Unsolicited applications from agencies will not be considered.
With a particular focus on your successful track record in negotiation, conflict resolution, collaboration and mediation, this position will manage the development engineering function to provide timely, high quality input into the assessment of development applications. The position will effectively administer the operational works component of developments within the Gympie Region. In addition, the Co-ordinator - Development Engineering is the custodian of Council's flood information.
What we are looking for
A democratic and inclusive leadership style that can effectively collaborate and negotiate with developers and other Council professionals to achieve outcomes will excel in this position. For this pivotal role, we are seeking a self managed individual with a high level of knowledge pertaining to development engineering concepts. You will require a tertiary qualification in civil engineering along with significant and relevant experience at a senior leadership level in a development engineering environment. Whilst managing a small team of dedicated professionals, you will be expected to:
- provide expert advice to both internal and external stakeholders regarding the assessment of development applications for road and transport infrastructure, storm water and flooding, and road and earthwork design.
- provide expert pre-lodgement advice to developers on engineering matters.
- provide valuable input to the regular review of the Gympie Regional Council Planning Scheme and the Local Government Infrastructure Plan.
- Oversee developers in the delivery of works to ensure compliance with Council standards.
- Provide advice to internal and external stakeholders on flood information held by Council, and engage expert consultants to update flood models as required from time to time.
- Build and maintain excellent working relationships with all stakeholders.
- Manage, lead, coach and motivate the development engineering team.
To be successful in this role, candidates must have:
- A tertiary qualification in Civil Engineering.
- Significant and relevant experience in a senior leadership role from a development engineering environment.
- Proven experience in managing, developing and leading a team of professionals, including knowledge of contemporary human resource practices.
- Experience in the interpretation of relevant legislation including the Local Government Act 2009, the Sustainable Planning Act 2009.
- High level experience in the use of engineering standards, specifications and codes.
- High level written and verbal communication skill, and proven experience in providing expert advice on development engineering matters.
- Knowledge of construction standards and previous experience in overseeing developers or contractors.
Qualifications and/or experience in project management techniques and frameworks would be a clear advantage, as too would knowledge of flood modelling techniques. Registration as an RPEQ would be desirable, but not essential.
For a full position description containing essential and desirable criteria, please click here.
Who to Contact
For information regarding the requirements of this role, please contact the General Manager - Design Services, Mr Lawry O'Brien on 54810461 or email Lawry.O'Brien@gympie.qld.gov.au
For assistance lodging your application using Council's online system, please contact Council's Human Resource Advisors, Rowena Chapman on 07-5481 0687 or email firstname.lastname@example.org, or Pip Moir on 07-5181 0906 or email email@example.com
What we offer?
- Nine day fortnight
- Access to employee health and well-being programs
- Fitness Passport: work out at over 25 local gyms for you and your family at a subsidised rate
- Access to professional development and employee education assistance
- Long service leave after seven years
- Generous superannuation scheme 13 per cent
- Access to salary sacrificing
- Employee assistance program offering free confidential counselling services for employees and their families.
For a full explanation of our values please click here. You will be assessed on your understanding of these values and how you have applied values such as these in your previous employment.
Successful applicants will be required to undertake various checks such as skills, qualifications, reference, medical and national police.
How to apply
Keen to apply? Simply follow the instructions below:
1) Download and review the position description above
2) Complete the information below, as requested (please use an individualised email address as using another person's may effect your application, if you do not have one please follow this link to create a Gmail account)
3) Click 'APPLY'
4) Attach your resume, covering letter and a single document containing copies of your qualifications, licences or tickets as applicable.
5) Click 'NEXT' and 'CONFIRM'
Please note before continuing: It is advisable that you prepare your responses in a separate word or text document, saving your work as you go and that you then copy and paste this prepared information in the form before completing the application process. Please keep your responses to a maximum 300 words for each question.
Applications close on Sunday 27 January 2019 at 5.00pm AEST. No late applications will be accepted. Only applications received via Council's online application system will be considered.