Librarian - Outreach and Innovation
Gympie is at the heart of a rapidly expanding region which stretches from rural valleys in the west to the Cooloola Coast, gateway to spectacular Fraser Island. Enjoy the rural delights of the picturesque Mary Valley, the history of Gympie and the broad western area, home to country festivals and a strong agricultural base. For someone seeking a high quality of life, the region offers a unique opportunity. You could be part of a forward thinking local government organisation with a commitment to continuously improving the services it provides to its 50,000 residents, in one of the most diverse locations in Queensland.
The CBD of Gympie is the central hub to the Gympie region, which is two hours north of Brisbane and in close proximity to the Sunshine and Fraser coasts. Council offices are located in Gympie's town centre close to shopping, cafes and parking.
Librarian - Outreach and Innovation
Remuneration: Annual salary commencing from $75,862 plus superannuation
Closing Date: Sunday 18 February 2018 at 11.00pm AEST
No late applications will be accepted. Only applications received via Council's online application system will be considered. Unsolicited applications from agencies will not be considered.
- Create and support community lifestyle and literacy initiatives by delivering engaging library projects.
- Embrace and implement digital learning programs for the community.
- Be part of a forward thinking local government organization with a focus on continuous improvement.
The library service
Gympie Regional Libraries provide a community focused service to build family and digital literacy skills, foster life-long learning, connect people with information and ideas and preserve information and knowledge for future generations. Our library services continue to evolve to meet the needs of our community. A new library is planned for Gympie in the coming years and this role will be instrumental in helping to create an iconic and inspirational library space.
The library service is Council’s most visited community facility, with a network consisting of six branch libraries located at Gympie, Tin Can Bay, Rainbow Beach, Kilkivan, Goomeri and Imbil.
An exciting opportunity exists for an enthusiastic Outreach and Innovation Librarian who is passionate about delivering dynamic library services to the community. This is a permanent position based at Gympie Library and the successful applicant will be responsible for the promotion, development and delivery of library services, whilst planning and adapting the services to meet future needs.
Critical to the success of this role will be your ability to develop and implement programs in partnership with relevant stakeholders. This position will work closely with other departments, organisations and the community to provide innovative programs, community literacy initiatives and state of the art library resources, actively contributing to providing exceptional customer-focused service to library clients across the Gympie region.
What we are looking for
The successful candidate will have:
- A tertiary qualification in Library and Information Sciences and eligibility for professional membership of the Australian Library and Information Association (ALIA). Consideration will also be given to applicants with tertiary qualifications in a related discipline.
- Demonstrated experience in the use of current library and digital technologies and the ability to implement rapid technological changes in the provision and management of library services to the community.
- Knowledge of the development of STEAM programs including robotics and coding and the ability to deliver these programs to library clients.
- Knowledge of the development of the First Five Forever program including the ability to deliver story time sessions to library clients.
- Project implementation/management skills.
- Demonstrated interpersonal communication and teamwork skills.
- Demonstrated experience with library budgetary management.
For a full position description containing essential and desirable criteria, please click here.
Who to Contact
For information regarding the requirements of this role, please contact Rachel Lethem (Manager - Libraries) on 5481 0850 or email email@example.com
For assistance lodging your application using Council's online system, please contact Rowena Chapman (Advisor - Human Resources) on 5481 0687 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
What we offer?
- Nine day fortnight/ten day fortnight/flexible work hours
- Access to employee health and well-being programs
- Fitness Passport: work out at over 25 local gyms for you and your family at a subsidised rate
- Access to professional development and employee education assistance
- Long service leave after seven years
- Generous superannuation scheme 13 per cent
- Access to salary sacrificing
- Employee assistance program offering free confidential counselling services for employees and their families.
For a full explanation of our values please click here. You will be assessed on your understanding of these values and how you have applied values such as these in your previous employment.
Successful applicants will be required to undertake various checks such as skills, qualifications, reference, medical and national police.
How to apply
Keen to apply? Simply follow the instructions below:
1) Download and review the position description above
2) Complete the information below, as requested (please use an individualised email address as using another person's may effect your application, if you do not have one please follow this link to create a Gmail account)
3) Click 'APPLY'
4) Attach your resume, covering letter and a single document containing copies of your qualifications, licences or tickets as applicable.
5) Click 'NEXT' and 'CONFIRM'
Please note before continuing: It is advisable that you prepare your responses in a separate word or text document, saving your work as you go and that you then copy and paste this prepared information in the form before completing the application process. Please keep your responses to a maximum 300 words for each question.
Applications close on Sunday 18 February 2018 at 11.00pm AEST. No late applications will be accepted. Only applications received via Council's online application system will be considered.